and Joint Replacement Dr. James W. Cahill • Dr. David A. Porter • Dr. Paul E. Kovatis • Dr. Michael C. Distefano
David A. Porter, MD
Fellowship Trained Orthopedic Surgeon
About Dr. Porter
David A. Porter, MDRequest An
David A. Porter, MD
Board-Eligible Orthopedic Surgeon
Fellowship Trained in Sports Medicine
Dr. David Porter is a board-eligible orthopedic surgeon with fellowship training in sports medicine. He specializes in the treatment of sports-related injuries in both athletes and non-athletes.
Dr. Porter earned his undergraduate degree at Boston College, and his medical degree from Rutgers Medical School. He then completed his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City and a Sports Medicine fellowship at UHZ Sports Medicine Institute in Miami, FL. During his fellowship, Dr. Porter focused on minimally invasive arthroscopic techniques for the treatment of sports-related injuries. He also served as one of the assistant team physicians for the Miami Dolphins, Miami Heat, and Florida International University.
Growing up, Dr. Porter was involved in sports, particularly tennis. As a surgeon, his clinical interests include sports related injuries and total joint replacement. In addition to working with professional-level and collegiate sports teams, Dr. Porter has also participated in several research studies. His research efforts include a variety of articles and book chapters on shoulder, knee, and elbow conditions. His articles have been published in peer-reviewed journals like American Journal of Sports Medicine, CORR, HSS Journal, Journal of Arthroplasty, and Arthroscopy Techniques, with topics including arthroscopic procedures, clavicle fracture repair, and the use of platelet-rich plasma at the donor site post-ACL reconstruction. He is a member of AAOS and AOSSM.
Dr. Porter specializes in the treatment of a variety of orthopedic conditions and performs several orthopedic procedures including:
- Undergraduate: Boston College Chestnut Hill, MA
- Graduate: Graduate School of Biomedical Science, University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ) Newark, NJ
- Medical: Rutgers Medical School, University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ) Newark, NJ
- Internship: Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, NY
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, NY
- Chief Resident in Orthopaedic Surgery: Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, NY
- Sports Medicine Fellowship: UHZ Sports Medicine Institute Miami Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Institute, Coral Gables, FL