and Joint Replacement Dr. James W. Cahill • Dr. David A. Porter • Dr. Paul E. Kovatis • Dr. Michael C. Distefano
Outpatient Joint Replacement
About Outpatient Joint Replacement
Joint replacement surgery has been around for several decades as a treatment option for patients with joint pain, and has allowed many patients to regain mobility over the years. Though traditional joint replacement methods still offer many benefits for patients, the field of orthopedic surgery is constantly evolving to improve the surgical experience and results for patients.
One such improvement is outpatient joint replacement surgery. Traditionally, joint replacement surgery has required patients to stay in the hospital overnight, at a minimum. Improvements in surgical protocols and surgical centers have allowed many patients to have their joint replacements done in outpatient surgery centers, eliminating the need for an overnight hospital stay.
Dr. Cahill has over 20 years of experience in joint replacement surgery, and has been offering outpatient joint replacement to his patients for about 10 years. He works with an outpatient surgical center that is very experienced in patient safety protocols, and has seen excellent results for his patients as a result of this collaboration.
Which Joint Replacement Procedures are Available in an Outpatient Setting?
Dr. Cahill can perform the following joint replacement procedures at an outpatient surgical center, depending on the patient’s individual needs and qualifications:
- Shoulder replacement surgery
- Hip replacement surgery
- Knee replacement surgery
However, it is important to note that not all candidates for shoulder, hip, or knee replacement surgery will be a candidate for outpatient surgery. Only a qualified, experienced orthopedic surgeon like Dr. Cahill can determine whether or not you are a candidate.
Evaluation for outpatient joint replacement surgery involves a few factors, including a physical evaluation and review of the patient’s medical history to determine if the patient is healthy enough for outpatient surgery. Patients may also consider whether or not their insurance will cover outpatient surgery. Dr. Cahill’s office can help patients with insurance-related questions and arrangements prior to surgery, if needed.
What are the Benefits of Outpatient Joint Replacement?
The primary benefit of outpatient joint replacement is that patients can recover in the comfort of their own homes and avoid an overnight hospital stay. There are several benefits to recovering at home, including the following:
- More comfortable recovery - Patients are more comfortable and relaxed recovering at home because it is an environment they are used to. In your own home, you are familiar with the layout and have access to your things, rather than having to stay in a hospital room.
- Ability to follow your own schedule - Physical therapists will schedule a time to come to your home to help with recovery exercises (facilitated by Dr. Cahill’s office). At home, you are also not subject to hospital visiting hours, so you may have guests over whenever you are up to it.
- Decreased risk of infection - Though hospitals take great care and precaution to avoid infections, the volume of sick people coming in and out of the hospital on a daily basis naturally increases the risk of infections. At home, your risk of coming in contact with infection-causing bacteria is much lower because you have much fewer people coming in and out.
- Decreased risk of blood clots - Patients who recover at home tend to move around more because they are familiar with their surroundings and are not subject to necessary hospital protocols. Moving around after surgery greatly decreases the risk of blood clots, and is therefore very beneficial for patients in recovery.
Outpatient Joint Replacement with Dr. Cahill - What to Expect
If you are a candidate for outpatient joint replacement, Dr. Cahill and his experienced team will take all of the steps needed to ensure your convenience, safety, and comfort. Our compassionate team is here to help and answer any questions you may have throughout the entire process, from initial surgery arrangements through your recovery.
Dr. Cahill’s office will make any arrangements needed ahead of time, including communicating with your insurance company and arranging for physical therapy and other services needed while you recover. Dr. Cahill and his team will also take time during your office visit to ensure that you are thoroughly educated on your recovery instructions and needs prior to surgery, so that you will know exactly what to do upon returning home after your joint replacement.
A common concern among outpatient joint replacement patients is that pain may inhibit their ability to recover comfortably at home. To help patients reduce pain in recovery, Dr. Cahill utilizes advanced pain management techniques, including an anesthetic nerve block that lasts for 2-3 days after surgery, when pain is typically at its worst. This aids in the patient’s comfort while recovering at home.
Outpatient Joint Replacement in Hackensack, NJ
Dr. James Cahill has over 20 years of experience with joint replacements, and has been performing outpatient joint replacements for several years. He works with an outpatient surgery center that has extensive experience with keeping patients safe and comfortable throughout their surgical experience. Dr. Cahill and his compassionate team will also help you every step of the way to ensure your safety, convenience, and comfort. A medical evaluation is necessary to determine if you are a candidate for outpatient joint replacement. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Cahill, please call our office at (201) 489-0022.