and Joint Replacement Dr. James W. Cahill • Dr. Paul E. Kovatis • Dr. Michael C. Distefano
Dr. Cahill’s office is open to take care of patients needing orthopedic treatment. We have in-office visits and telehealth options available, and Dr. Cahill is able to provide a full range of treatments, including surgery, to patients as necessary.
We have taken several measures to protect our patients and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, including the following:
- Adjusted appointment schedules to minimize the time patients spend in the waiting room and reduce the number of people in the office at the same time. In most cases, patients are taken right to an exam room upon arrival.
- Cleaning and sanitizing exam rooms after each patient.
- Screening the temperature and medical history of all incoming patients both before the appointment and upon arrival at the office.
- All patients are also required to wear face masks. We kindly ask that you bring your own mask, but our office can provide you with a mask if necessary.
- Routinely-scheduled deep cleaning and sanitization of the whole office by a professional cleaning service.
- Plexiglass enclosures and use of full array of personal protective equipment for our staff, in addition to practicing appropriate distancing.
- Telemedicine options for patients who wish to remain at home.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to our office. We are happy to assist.
Preparing for In-Office Appointments
Patients who have a fever, cough, or known exposure to COVID-19 should not come to the office. Patients who have traveled outside of the United States should also avoid coming to the office until they have completed the recommended 14-day quarantine period. If you need to cancel your appointment or move your appointment to a telemedicine format, please call our office at (201) 489-0022 as soon as possible to make arrangements.
As mentioned above, we do require all patients to wear face masks during in-office appointments. Because face masks are in limited supply right now, we kindly ask that you wear your own face mask if you have one, but our office can provide you with one if needed.
Additionally, anyone who accompanies you to the appointment should wait in the car if possible to limit the number of people in the office. However, we do make exceptions for patients who need help getting around or require assistance with translation. Please communicate these needs to our office staff so that we can accommodate you.
Treatment Options Available Amid COVID-19 Restrictions
Whether you opt for an in-office visit or a telemedicine consultation, we can provide a full evaluation and treatment plan. If surgery is urgent and necessary, Dr. Cahill utilizes an ambulatory surgical center (ASC) in Englewood, NJ called Patient Care Associates. This high-quality accredited facility is utilized by many VIPs and professional athletes in New York and New Jersey. Performing surgery in an ASC helps keep patients out of the hospital, where the risk of contracting COVID-19 is much higher.
We may also refer you to our physical therapy partners, Superior Physical Therapy, who are located in the same office space. Physical therapy is a critical part of recovery for many orthopedic problems, so we are proud to partner with them to offer this service to our patients. Superior PT has also implemented telemedicine services, allowing many patients to be coached through physical therapy sessions in the comfort of their own homes.
Dr. Cahill’s office offers a full range of orthopedic diagnostic services via telemedicine for patients who would prefer to remain at home.
Reduced restrictions on HIPAA-compliant solutions have allowed us to provide telemedicine via Facetime and WhatsApp, apps many patients already have installed on their phones. We also use a telemedicine service called eClinicalWorks for patients who would prefer a HIPAA-compliant solution.
If you would like to schedule a telemedicine appointment, please call our office at (201) 489-0022 for more information.