Dr. Paul Kovatis
Dr. Kovatis performed the first total ankle replacement at Hackensack-Meridian Main Campus in 2013. He specializes in the treatment of a variety of foot and ankle conditions and performs several orthopedic procedures, including:
Paul E. Kovatis, MD
Fellowship Trained Orthopedic Leg, Foot & Ankle Surgeon
Dr. Paul Kovatis is a Hospital for Special Surgery trained orthopedic leg, foot and ankle specialist with over 24 years of clinical experience and physician leadership titles. Dr. Kovatis treats a full range of conditions affecting the feet, ankles, and legs, including trauma, fractures, and chronic conditions. He has also been a part of teams treating prestigious performers and athletes, including the New York City Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, multiple Broadway productions, and both baseball teams in New York. Dr. Kovatis has had the honor of throwing out the ceremonial “first pitch” at several Mets games as the team’s thank you for his work with elite athletes.
Dr. Kovatis received his medical degree from the UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, and also completed his internship and orthopedic surgery residency there. He then went on to complete fellowship training in foot and ankle orthopedics at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York. Dr. Kovatis has received several awards, honors, and titles throughout his career, including Past President and Past Chairman of the Medical Board and Medical Staff of Hackensack-Meridian, Past President of the Bergen County Medical Society, Past Orthopedic Member of the HUMC Board of Governors and Board of Trustees, Past Orthopedic Member of the HUMC Credentials Committee and Past Chairman of the Quality and Patient Safety Committee to the CEO; he is the only orthopedic surgeon to have held these titles concurrently for over 10 years while also maintaining his practice. All of his honors and leadership titles were obtained through clinical reputation and years of patient reviews. Dr. Kovatis has also been recognized as a Top Doctor for several years running.
Dr. Kovatis has been published in numerous orthopedic publications and textbooks and continues to teach residents and speak as a Distinguished Alumni at the Hospital for Special Surgery. He is also a passionate supporter of the military, regularly speaking with various military organizations and law enforcement groups and treating members of these groups. In fact, Dr. Kovatis has five members of his immediate family buried with multiple honors in Arlington national cemetery. His father was a fighter pilot and decorated colonel with The Flying Tigers in Kunming China during WWII.
Given his training in Level 1 trauma hospitals, as well as his work with elite clientele, patients whose injuries are beyond the scope of other practitioners who perform ankle and foot surgery are often referred to him. Additionally, being an orthopedic surgeon he also has a thriving general orthopedic following. Dr. Kovatis also participates in several worker’s compensation and no fault insurance panels, and also accepts second opinion cases and performs Independent Medical Examinations (IMEs).
- Undergraduate: Upsala College, East Orange, NJ (Summa cum laude)
- Medical Degree: UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ (Honors)
- General Surgery Internship: UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ
- Foot and Ankle Orthopedics Fellowship: Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS)
- New Jersey Orthopedic Society (NJOS)
- Hellenic Medical Society of New York
- Bergen County 200 Club – NJ State and Local Law Enforcement Honor Legion Lifetime Awards
- American Academy of Sports Medicine
- Past President Bergen County Medical Society
- US Navy SEAL: Team Never Quit / lone survivor benefactor
- Military Order of the Purple Heart
- Wounded Warrior Foundation (WWF)
- Carlos Beltran Baseball School Puerto Rico (Philanthropist and Teacher)